• RSS
  • Mail
  • Facebook
  • Twitter




Half a month into the music blogging world and I was fortunate enough to get my first interview with 'the jack of all trades', David Homyk.


So, David, who are your main musical influences?

Nirvana, John Coltrane and Pink Floyd. Those are the biggest but there are many others.

What was the last time music was really, really exciting for you?
Last night! Was out with friends and the DJ happened to be fantastic.


What's the last album you bought that you're enjoying?
Probably Parachute's "Losing Sleep."

Everyone has their OOPS! moment on stage. What was yours?
I had my piano stand under a mic stand and went to move it. It catapulted the mic stand 10 feet into the 3rd row and almost injured a girl down there. The whole crowd went "OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" all at the same time, clearly noticing.


What is your guilty pleasure band?
Jo-Jo.


What's the weirdest thing that's ever happened to you?
I was sleeping in plasma and a man with rubber gloves pulled me out of a vagina. It just kept getting weirder after that.


If you were a superhero what famous musician would be your arch-nemesis and why?
I don't want to tell you because I don't want his name popping up in Google searches associated with mine. But to hint, we have the same first name and his last name is 3 letters: 3rd letter of alphabet, 15th letter of alphabet, 5th letter of alphabet.


How long have you been playing and what was your first instrument?
Since I was a little kid I'd always had a fascination with the piano, but my mom tried to get me to play violin at age 3, so I guess that was technically my first.


What's the greatest thing that's ever been said about your music?
I hear lots of wonderful things everyday for which I'm quite grateful. The greatest things to me are those dealing with my music having touched someone else's life in a truly meaningful way.


When you get bad reviews, do you let them get to you?
Gratefully most of my reviews are positive and written with such alacrity, but yes. I got a bad review recently by a reviewer who said "I hate when artists don't play their own instruments." Obviously, the reviewer was entirely misinformed. For all of my songs I am not only the singer and writer but I also play each of the instruments: Guitar, Piano, Bass Guitar, all the drum work and engineering, and I also produce, mix and master each track entirely by myself. I am the opposite of what this particular reviewer was attacking.


What's the song you're most proud of writing?
I think "Fool In The Middle" is one of the more clever and poignant ones. (Listen below.)


If you could take back a song you've released because you're not excited about it now in hindsight, which one would it be?
Well insofar as the songs I've actually released I don't have those regrets. But I do have some unreleased songs that I've spent a long time writing recording and producing which I wasn't too thrilled about following their completion. Once I feel that a song can't make the cut to be released it goes in my "vault," which can only be opened after I die, and they are not to be included in the playlist which is to be played at my funeral and which can be found on my iPod under "Funeral."

What's your favorite artist and album?
Now that's a tough one. I guess if to be measured in terms of the tangible impact they've had on my life, in the whole history of music either Nirvana's "Nevermind" or Pink Floyd's "The Wall."



Listen to Fool in the Middle:






Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...