• RSS
  • Mail
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Example
Back in May I featured British rapper Elliot John Gleave aka Example in The 2010 Watchlist. Example is known for his synthelectropopdance amalgams with tracks such as Watch the Sun Come Up and Won't Go Quietly with the latter hitting a #1 in the UK dance chart. I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to ask him a few questions. Example talks about his music, his archenemy, and what we can expect from him in the years to come.


Do you have any inspirations for your songs? Or do they just pop out of nowhere?
I think all songwriters are inspired by events either in their own lives or other peoples and then by other artists either consciously or subconsciously. I tend to listen to a beat I'm sent, work out a melody for a chorus, then the words come to me. Then I finally write the verses and raps last.

Who are you dying to work with as of this moment?
Well I got my ideal wishlist ticked off already for this album with Calvin Harris, Chase & Status, Sub Focus, MJ Cole. I'm a big fan of Damon Albarn so he'd be on my list. And then I'd wanna work with Q-tip or Kanye just 'cos they're my heroes. Maybe a co-write with Jack White. To be honest I prefer writing by myself though.


Describe your music in three words.
Electro-Hip-Pop.


Which do you like more? Working in the studio or doing a live show?
Live show all day. It's my favourite aspect of my job without a doubt. Studio can be frustrating...


If you were a musical superhero, who would be your archenemy and why?
Anyone from The X Factor. These people don't write their own songs and get catapulted to fame without working their way up the hard way. I like Cowell a lot. The people on his show though are dreadful!


I love how your songs are quite cheeky in a sense. Do you think there's too much seriousness going around in the music scene?
Not really. It's whatever suits that particular person. I'm pretty laidback and fun-loving so that's reflected in my music.


Besides the album, what's next on the Example to-do list?
I wanna try get a few hit records around the world. Maybe Australia, Japan and parts of Europe. I love traveling so I just wanna navigate the Globe doing what I love - entertaining.

Example's latest single Kickstarts (which is mightily good, by the way) is out now, what a coincidence!

Buy Kickstarts on iTunes now!

Example on MySpace.
On Twitter.
On Facebook.

The official website.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...